Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ride along Hwy 1 (again)

Hwy 1 and I meet again, but this time I brought friends.  As much as I love riding the coast of California, I think I can use a break from there until next summer.  Just before going on this ride, I was able to attach a fairing to my bike, this was nice because I not only had music but a cigarette lighter (this played as a damper later during the ride)...So the ride started in Manteca, and by the time we got to Livermore on the 580 Interstate I was ready for a cigarette.  I was enjoying the Motley Crue on my new stereo and wanted to enjoy a cigarette as well, but when I pushed my cigarette lighter in, I guess it wasn't wired up correctly and it blew my fuse.


Yes, yes that is my bike sitting on the side of the 580 Interstate.  Luckily my friends were able to locate an auto parts store and nice enough to purchase a new fuse for me.

Once my bike was fixed and back on the road, it was a great day and the weather was perfect.  So from the 580 Interstate to the 680 Interstate and onto Hwy 17.  We got into a little traffic on Hwy 17 but luckily we were on the bikes and was able to split the lanes.  Now, as I have said in my prior rants, Hwy 17 is nice to ride, but there are not very many places to take pictures ... so I'll just jump right over to Hwy 1. 

Our first stop was of course at Carmel Beach, I don't remember how long we sat here, but the sand was warm and the cool breeze from the ocean felt awesome.  I really like this beach due to the fact that Dolphins are seen on a regular basis, although we didn't see any that day. 

This is a picture of my friend Mac and his girlfriend Patty enjoying the warmth of the Beach and the views, although Mac doesn't really look like he is enjoying himself.

We also witnessed a group of people gathering, either from a wedding or for a wedding while we were there.  



So back on the road, through Carmel and onto the coast of California.
Not too long after leaving Carmel Beach, we made a stop at the first turnout just as we get to ride along the ocean.  People stop here to take pictures of the houses that are built right along the coast.  As I have said before, one day my friends I will win the Lottery and be able to afford one of these houses for at least a day, heck I'd even be happy with renting a room as long as I get the view of the ocean. 

There were two houses at this location, as you can
see in the first picture you can't really see the house, but I can only imagine what the house would look like.  I would have to say though, that the second picture (right) is my favorite of the two. 
The house is not only right along the coast but its hidden behind trees and has a very large backyard with a barbecue facing the ocean view, which would be great for those summer get togethers.


The gradual turns, the flawless settings and the cool ocean breeze always make me feel free and alive.

The bonus on this ride was that, I had good friends to enjoy this experience.   







We didn't make to many stops, but we did take the ride slow and enjoyed everything nature had to offer.

Once we got into Big Sur, we stopped in at Big Sur River Inn for a bite to eat.  We soon realized that we did not plan this as well as we thought.  The food was very expensive so I ordered a beer and the Calamari appetizer.  The appetizer alone was about $12 and only a handful is served on the plate. 


The cool thing about visiting the River Inn at Big Sur, is that the Beach Boys sing about it in one of their songs.  If you didn't know, I am a fan of the Beach Boys.


To the right are my friends Mac and Patty, standing in front of the little shop next to the River Inn.

We also walked around to the back of the Inn where a small river slowly flows.  Nice place to kick off the boots and relax on one of the chairs placed in the water.


The sun started to set so we decided one more picture with each other, then start heading back home before it got too dark and cold.  We did leave an hour later than when we wanted at the beginning of the ride, but I think it worked out for the better because the sunset on the coast is gorgeous, just wish I had someone to enjoy it with.
The ride back was nice, the setting sun painted a beautiful picture across the sky.


I could do this ride over and over again, and each time the portrait nature displays of the coast takes my breath away.


  I just had to add this picture to the left, it has got to be my favorite picture.

When you set out on a journey, pray that the road is long, full of adventure and full of knowledge. 











No comments:

Post a Comment